Part of the Wormtown Fleet Project

Thursday, September 2, 2010

School's In!

Love it or hate it, Worcester is a college town. It cracks me up when I see apartment listings that mention they're located in a "college neighborhood". Seriously, is there any neighborhood in this city that couldn't be considered a college neighborhood?

For the record, I happen to love that Worcester is a college town. I didn't move here to go to school, but I did spend my first year here living that experience vicariously through my Clark friends and roommates, and that's a big part of what made me fall in love with this city in the first place. Plus, it just feels so empty when the students are away. You notice it when you go out to eat, out to the bars, or just driving around. Academia is in the pulse of the city, and that pulse just seems weak when school is out.

These are shots I took today on Florence St., between Maywood and Downing. Most of you will recognize it as the main drag connecting Clark University's on-campus and off-campus residences.


(Click to enlarge)

Three weeks ago, this street would've been mostly empty. For the next eight months, it'll be very hard to park a car anywhere along this stretch...


(Click to enlarge)

I have so many memories of good times on this street. I can attach a story to almost every apartment, porch, yard, and section of sidewalk along this stretch. As just one example, I once got several beverages into a winter's night and took pictures from the top of the parking garage (on the right in photo #2) during a nor'easter. By the time I got too cold to stay up there, the snow drifts were so high that I couldn't walk down the outdoor stairwells, I had to slide down them on my ass...

I'm sure many of you have fond memories here too, you may have even been a part of mine...Share them!

Welcome back Clarkies, and students at all of Worcester's institutes of higher learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment