Part of the Wormtown Fleet Project

Friday, September 10, 2010

Renewal (and Abandonment) in Main South

Took a lunchtime drive today, and I saw that the front sliding security doors at the former Ha Tien Market on Main Street were open and there's some renovations happening inside:

(Click to enlarge)

This is good news for lovers of our Vietnamese markets and for Main South residents in general. Ha Tien is one of the only grocery options in this neighborhood, and had a reputation for freshness and value. It was my favorite Vietnamese market in the city (sorry Mekong), and I was devastated when it was destroyed in a fire back in March.

Here are some pictures that I took during the fire:






I'm certainly glad to see that it looks like they're going to be reopening at some point.

There's some other rebirths happening in the neighborhood. The Dunkin' Donuts renovation at the corner of Main and Hammond seems to be moving along quickly:

(Click to enlarge)

I also happened upon some long-awaited work being done at the brick apartment buildings on LaGrange Street. My office used to be right behind these buildings, and after a lot of noise about a fixup coming, they sat untouched for years. Looks like that's finally starting to change:

(Click to enlarge)

One piece of land that I'm sure is very familiar to the patriarch of the Wormtown Fleet remains empty, however:

(Click to enlarge)

For those who are not familiar, this is the former site of Yellow Cab's headquarters.

2 comments:

  1. The former site of Yellow Cab is actually on the list of historic buildings, and can't be messed with unless the Historical Commission has their say.

    The thing about this building is the curved outer walls, apparently, which is a very distinctive style of... gas station!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really interesting, Jeff. I thought it was curious that they were selling fill soil from the edges of the property. That made me think they were preparing to knock it down and prepare it for a new building footprint, but the "For Rent" sign and the info you just gave me would seen to contradict that...

    I'm really glad you've found this blog, I've been having a blast updating it. You really do see the city through different eyes when roving for material!

    Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete